Blogs on Bilingual Language Development
- Cue cards which can be used to facilitate communication for non-verbal Somali speaking children and adults.
- A Somali-English brief explanation of what a Modified Barium Swallow is.
- A brief word list of common Speech Language Pathology terms, in Somali.
- The Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers (M-CHAT) is a validated developmental screening tool for toddlers between 16 and 30 months of age. It is designed to identify children who may benefit from a more thorough developmental and autism evaluation. More information (including scoring information) can be found here.
An articulation screener for Somali children, developed by the Minneapolis Public Schools. Please note: this screener was produced in the absence of developmental norms for Somali speech development. Please use with caution.
- A complete inventory of the phonological units of the Somali language, including consonants and vowel sounds, syllables and tonal units. An excerpt of John Saeed’s Somali.
- This is a manual for Speech Language Pathologists who work with culturally and linguistically diverse children. Contains information on the Somali language, as well as (informal) screening tools for use with Somali students. Includes a Somali adaptation of the Boehm Concept Chart.
- Brief Handout about Stuttering, in the Somali and English Languages